flags

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

back to cambridge, or world's longest post

cab ride home


blueberry scones

we got back to cambridge monday after a long visit home for the holidays!
 i was feeling a little anxious about being 
on my own again 
after having so much help/care/everything at home, 
but i was also ready to get back in my own place and start fresh. 

new year.
new semester.
everyone a little older and wiser.

even before our plane landed, i had a good feeling about getting back.
 it's an emotional test of strength every time we pack all our stuff back up 
and i have to separate my kids from family for another few months. 
(dramatic much?) 
but i am getting so much better at it, i'm almost even good. 
(not sure if that's a good or bad thing). 
but i think i'm growing and learning 
and stretching and trusting. 

last semester may possibly have been, 
sorda
 kinda 
maybe in a way
a whiff for me. 
i really want to be someone who can handle life gracefully come what may, 
but i actually did a pretty poor job. 
(st. andrews =A, cambridge = ehh, C-). 
i gave a decent effort,
 but couldn't completely let go of woe-is-me: 
i don't have a car!/a friend!/mom/ac/washer dryer.....
where is a non-ghetto target and a family friendly restaurant 
and where in the sam hill is a normal grocery store?? 
 i was tired. 
i was stressed.
i was tired of being stressed. 

the break was a good long time for me to soak up all the help,
 go to cabo,
 rest, and get my act together. 
and it took every second. 
but i'm back!
 i feel good. 
i made some NY resolutions, 
planned out a routine for the kids, 
and let my helper go. 
 (i'm not totally helpless, 
there's another wonderful girl who babysits when we need it 
and that's a blessing.) 
but i feel like i'm becoming myself again
after a somewhat stressful transition. 

anyway, this post is not really finding a point so let's wrap it up. 
i do want to say though that our first day back was a huge answered prayer. 
so many friends (ok like 3 but that's a lot for me) 
called/texted/dropped by just to say welcome back. 
one even brought over scones. 
they probably don't know it, but it meant so much to me. 

here's to another year!
28.
come what may. 
hope y'all don't think i'm crazy.
love to all.

chaiss 

ps. i don't understand the new blogger format (clearly). agh. sorry! 

2 comments:

Andrew & Kendall said...

I totally sympathize with you. I hope this semester is a bit easier. Transitions are always hard. It's not the same without you here :( Miss you!

The Davis Family said...

Right there with ya sister:) Although I think my whiff is going on right now...baby #2 is on the way (yay). Haven't been able to function...and grade on mommy duties could be close to a D. Sometimes dinner gets made and Caroline has a matching outfit on, but mostly I want to lay on the couch and shut down:(

I get it more than you know...chin up...God gives new mercies every day. Thank goodness:)

Love from Lexington,
E